Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Pasta (GF, Vegan)
Want to learn how to eat better? Get one FREE, evidence-based nutrition tip weekly to your email - get access here.
I have a bit of a soft spot for pasta. There is something seriously comforting about a steaming bowl of fresh pasta, especially if its topped with a creamy sauce. The only thing that might be equally comforting is a cheesy slice of pizza.
I love using roasted red pepper strips, sundried tomato and fresh basil on my pizzas, so this recipe was a little experiment at taking these classic pizza ingredients and turning them in to a rich and creamy pasta sauce. The result? Pure magic.
Rich, creamy, tomatoey pizza sauce clinging to fresh penne noodles and topped with stringy dairy-free cheese = heaven on a plate. There aren’t many recipes out there that so suavely check all my comfort food boxes in one bite.
This Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Pasta recipe was created at lunch time yesterday, and I am currently slurping down the last few bites of this 4-person-serving sized meal…needless to say, this will be recreated very shortly! See you in comfort food heaven!
Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Pasta (Gluten Free, Vegan)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked >2 hours or overnight, drained
- 1 cup roasted red peppers (capsicum)
- ¾ cup nutritional yeast flakes (optional: adds cheesy flavour)
- 2 Tbsp. coconut cream
- 1 Tbsp. tamari (or soy sauce)
- Large handful of fresh basil leaves
- 1 Tbsp. tapioca flour
- ½ cup sundried tomatoes
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup dairy-free cheese (optional)
- 2.5 cups your favourite dried pasta (I used gluten free penne)
Takes , serves 4.
- Heat oil in a large fry pan and add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring around 5 minutes until onion is translucent
- Add cooked onion and garlic along with all remaining ingredients except the pasta to a high power blender or food processor and blend until smooth
- Meanwhile, heat a large pot of water until boiling and then cook pasta according to packet directions
- In the large fry pan, add the sauce and warm over a low heat, stirring as the sauce thickens slightly. If using, add the dairy-free cheese and stir in until melted
- When the pasta is cooked, drain and add to fry pan. Stir to coat the pasta in the rich delicious sauce and then ladle spoonfuls into bowls. Top with a sprinkling of nutritional yeast and fresh basil leaves and serve!