Avocado Rocket Pesto
This recipe is gluten free, vegan and oil-free.
A little twist on regular pesto that packs a spicy rocket punch and creaminess from avocado. This is another versatile recipe that can be used in many dishes. For a more traditional meal, mix the pesto through fresh pasta and peas (there always needs to be peas with pesto, in my humble opinion). To get a little more creative, make a green Buddha bowl with a base of rice or quinoa; some spiralised or ribboned vegetables (such as zucchini); green leaves (like extra rocket or baby spinach); a sprinkling of nuts and seeds and a big scoop of pesto in the middle. YUM!
Avocado and Rocket Pesto
This recipe is gluten free, vegan and oil-free. Makes 1 small jar.
you will need:
- 1 cup rocket
- 1 cup basil leaves
- Juice 1/2 lemon or lime
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts *
- 1/4 cup vegetable stock or water
* to toast the pine nuts simply heat a fry pan over medium heat and dry roast for 5 - 10 minutes, stirring often, until just golden
- Add rocket and basil leaves to a food processor and process a couple of minutes until the leaves are finely chopped and starting to break down
- Add all remaining ingredients and process until smooth
- Thin sauce out with more water or stock if desired
- Stir through fresh pasta, spread on toast, toss through roast vegetables for an easy side dish or serve with rice and zucchini ribbons as pictured above