One Bowl Gingerbread Men (GF, Vg)
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 Tbsp. ground ginger (I like it spicy but use less if you prefer subtle ginger)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1 egg or 1 Tbsp ground flax mixed with 2 Tbsp warm water
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 1.5 cups brown rice flour (buckwheat or white rice would also work well)
Takes ,serves 8.
- Preheat oven to 160°C (320°F) and line two baking trays with baking paper
- Add tahini and coconut sugar to a large mixing bowl. Pour boiling water over the top and mix well until sugar is dissolved
- Add spices, egg or flax egg and salt and mix well
- Slowly add in the 3 flours and mix until just coming together. The dough should be holding together well, not dry or crumby. Add a tiny dash of water or more flour if the consistency isn't right. You will be rolling the dough out so it's crucial to have it right at this stage
- Break the ball of dough in two and lay out a sheet of baking paper on the kitchen bench. Place one ball of dough on the paper and flatten slightly with your palm. Sprinkle lightly with flour and cover dough with a second sheet of baking paper.
- Roll dough out to around 1cm thick, then use your cookie cutters to make shapes
- Carefully place shapes onto prepared baking tray and repeat with all the remaining dough
- Place trays in the oven and bake for around 20 minutes until just golden all over and starting to get crunchy
- Remove gingerbread from the oven and transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- Once cool, ice/decorate if you wish and then store in an airtight container for up to a week