Chai Spiced Banana Bread
- 3 very ripe bananas (the blacker the better!)
- 1 Tbsp tahini
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp clove
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup almond milk (Recipe Link)
- 1 flax egg (Recipe Link)
- 3/4 oats processed into a course flour
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Optional: 1/4 cup maple syrup (taste the mixture for sweetness - I usually find if the bananas are ripe enough I can go without any sweeteners)
- 1 tsp coconut oil to oil cake tin
- 1 extra banana, sliced lengthways, to push into batter in the tin
Takes ,serves 8.
- Preheat oven to 180˚C (350˚F).
- Process oats into a course flour using your food processor.
- Peel bananas and mash in a large bowl (leave one for topping).
- Add tahini, almond milk, flax egg, salt, spices and baking powder. Mix until well combined.
- Add oat and buckwheat flour and mix well.
- Mix through coconut and chopped pecans.
- Oil the cake tin and spoon batter inside.
- Slice the remaining banana in half lengthways.
- Smooth the top of the batter and then press each half of the banana into the mixture.
- Bake for 50 - 60 minutes until golden on top and a wooden skewer comes out clean. NOTE: If you want you can make these as muffins, just halve the baking time and omit the banana on top.