One Pot Creamy Eggplant Pasta (Gluten Free, Vegan)
Confused about what healthy eating actually entails? Let me simplify it for you! Get one FREE, evidence-based nutrition tip weekly to your email - get access here.
SIMPLICITY. As the pace of life speeds up and 2017 gets into full swing, holiday season is beginning to feel like a lifetime ago. It's this time of year many of our good intentions begin to give way to busyness. Never fear! I'm here with an answer to staying healthy as workloads increase.
I have recently entered the wonderfully simple world of one pot cooking. Millions of varieties of one pot recipes seemed to be popping up all over the place so I thought it was about time I joined the crew. Pasta dishes are already a super simple meal to throw together, but simplified further with only one pan to wash up? I'm in.
This One Pot Creamy Eggplant Pasta is the ultimate weeknight meal. It requires barely any washing up, make a huge pot (delicious lunch leftovers, I'm looking at you) and is wonderfully rich and creamy. Cooking the pasta in the creamy tomato sauce rather than water means that it absorbs all of the delicious flavours of the dish. I'm not sure I can go back to regular water-cooked pasta after this discovery!
The sauce is a simple mixture of some of my favourite veggies - eggplant, mushroom and tomato. The best part? This recipe is totally customisable! Feel free to experiment subbing in/out other seasonal veggies. Not an eggplant fan? No worries. Capsicum, olives or some fresh basil would be heavenly! Use your favourite pasta or noodles (I am in love with brown rice macaroni at the moment), add your favourite protein, and top with some Vegan Parmesan or your favourite cheese.
Less washing up, more flavour AND left overs? Let's do this!
Watch the video below for a visual demonstration or keep scrolling for the recipe.
One Pot Creamy Eggplant Pasta (GF, Vg)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium eggplant, diced
- 2 cups mushrooms, diced
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. tamari (or soy) sauce
- 1-2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1.5 Tbsp. coconut cream
- 1.5 cups warm water
- 1.5 cups dried pasta (I use brown rice macaroni)
- Handful of chopped kale or baby spinach leaves
Takes , serves 6.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and add olive oil
- Add diced onion and stir until translucent (around 5 minutes), then add garlic and cook a further 2 minutes
- Add tomatoes and cook until breaking down and saucy, then add eggplant, mushrooms and cook 5 minutes or until soft
- Add tomato paste, tamari, chilli, nutritional yeast, balsamic, coconut and water and stir well
- Mix through dried pasta and place a lid over the saucepan. Cook around 15 minutes, or until pasta is soft, staring every few minutes to prevent sticking
- When the pasta is cooked, add kale or spinach leaves and stir. Place the lid back on the pan and allow to steam for a couple of minutes
- Ladle into bowls and serve topped with Vegan Parmesan. Enjoy your one pot saucy pasta!